Aims and Rules
ECCOMAS Young Investigators can be defined as young scientists (40 years old or younger) working in one of the ECCOMAS research fields. In the last years the number of young investigators working in computational methods in applied sciences has significantly increased. Therefore, the ECCOMAS Young Investigators Committee (EYIC) has been created in order to promote the main goals of ECCOMAS among young researchers, with special emphasis in encouraging activities of young ECCOMAS members. The EYIC also provides an incubator for new ideas, presents the interests of young researchers within the ECCOMAS community and aims to maintain a protective environment for young investigators. The EYIC is composed of members from each national and regional association and is led by two internally selected chairpersons.
The main tasks of the EYIC include:
- To represent the interests of young investigators within ECCOMAS;
- To disseminate information to young researchers, for example sharing info on open positions, available awards / opportunities / scholarships for young people, conferences / summer schools;
- To promote and facilitate the creation, and the work, of “young” sections within national associations;
- To promote the participation of young people at ECCOMAS initiatives and conferences, workshops and other events;
- To support and advise the organisers of the upcoming YIC and the ECCOMAS PhD Olympiad;
- To organise Young Investigators events and provide an incubator for new scientific formats at ECCOMAS events;
- To provide content for the Young Investigators corner of the annual ECCOMAS newsletter; and
- To provide general support and advice to ECCOMAS on digital platforms (for example, website, job database, social media).
Terms of nomination & rules:
- Age Requirement: Under 36. Members must be under 40 years old throughout their term.
- Nomination: Member associations are expected to nominate one EYIC member each.
- Term Duration: The duration of the term is generally four years with an extension of two years possible, at the discretion of the YIC committee. The maximum term limit is six years, always respecting rule 1.
- Co-Opted Members: One representative each from the organizers of the previous and upcoming YIC are included as co-opted members.
- Election of Chairpersons: The EYIC elects two chairpersons, respecting gender balance if possible, that must be ratified by the ECCOMAS Managing Board. The duration of the term is two years, and re-nomination is not possible. The election is expected to be held at the ECCOMAS congress.
- Core Group: The EYIC chairpersons define a core group of at least five members (including the chairpersons) whose term is associated with the chairpersons.
- PastChairpersons: Former chairpersons of the EYIC will have the opportunity to continue their involvement by serving as “Past Chairpersons” within the committee. Their role will be to provide guidance, support, and institutional knowledge to the current chairpersons and the committee as a whole. The past chairpersons will be available to assist when needed, offering their expertise and insights gained from their previous leadership experience.
- Adjustments for Scheduling Conflicts: In the event that the timing of the Chairpersons and Core Group member term presents a scheduling conflict for members, the term duration may be adjusted to accommodate scheduling conflicts. The adjusted term must not exceed the maximum term limit as stated in Rule 3. Such adjustments will be made at the discretion of the EYIC committee.
- Overlap: The terms of members representing a society must overlap partially to ensure continuity and a smooth transition, if possible by six months. This means that before a member leaves the group, their respective society must have nominated a replacement and that replacement must attend at least two meetings with the outgoing member to ensure a smooth transition of knowledge and responsibilities. This ensures that the incoming member is well-prepared to assume their duties and responsibilities within the group. During the overlap, each organization will continue to have only one vote. The voting right is held by the outgoing EYIC member.
Update: July 2023
The ECCOMAS Young Investigators Committee (EYIC) has successfully carried out the following new activities over the last years:
- 2023: 7th ECCOMAS Young investigators Congress in Porto, Portugal (https://yic2023.fe.up.pt)
- 2022: Represented with all EYIC activities at the 8th ECCOMAS CONGRESS 2022 in Oslo, Norway
- 2021: Virtual 6th ECCOMAS Young Investigators Conference in Valencia (https://yic2021.upv.es)
- 2021: New EYIC activities established at the 14th Virtual Congress WCCM & ECCOMAS 2020 in January 2021 Paris (online)
- 2019: Conception and implementation of the ECCOMAS Job Database
- 2018: Science Slam at ECCM-ECFD-Conference 2018 (Glasgow, U.K.)
- 2018: Young Investigator Minisymposium at ECCM-ECFD-Conference 2018 (Glasgow, U.K.)
- 2017: Conception and implementation of the ECCOMAS Facebook Group
- 2016: Young Investigator Minisymposium at ECCOMAS Congress 2016 (Crete, Greece)
EYIC activities at 8th ECCOMAS CONGRESS 2022 in Oslo, Norway:
- EYIC Career Forum
- EYIC Arts and Science Contest
- EYIC Junior Workshop
- ECCOMAS PhD Olympiad
- ECCOMAS Young Investigators Minisymposium
- EYIC Pub Crawl
EYIC activities at 14th Virtual Congress WCCM & ECCOMAS 2020 in January 2021:
- EYIC Young Investigator Minisymposium
- EYIC Career Forum
- EYIC Ph.D. Olympiads
- EYIC & CSMAjuniors Junior Workshop – two days junior workshop with short courses, special sessions, and a 24h hackathon
- EYIC Arts and Science Contest and virtual exhibition